UCDC is excited to announce new programming for the remote term! Not only will you be interning with unique and impressive organizations and taking classes taught by experienced instructors, you’ll also have the opportunity to participate in a mentorship program and a professional development and speaker series.
Intern Remotely in the Nation’s Capital!
With UCDC’s vast network of employers in the DC area, doing a remote internship is a meaningful way to develop professionally. We have partnerships with advocacy groups, federal agencies, law firms, media outlets, think tanks, and more. We will support you throughout the process of finding, interviewing, and securing your internship, which in this difficult time can be even more challenging on your own. Throughout your internship you will be able to gain crucial skills that will be valuable as you progress toward your career goals. You will also have flexibility with your schedule and be given more meaningful tasks. Through it all, UCDC staff will be available to guide and support you.
Learn from Experts
You will have the opportunity to learn in small classes from amazing instructors who live and work in Washington DC. Your online course(s) will use tools such as Zoom and Canvas, and include combinations of guest speakers, experiential assignments, and small group learning, when appropriate, to create a balanced synchronous and asynchronous learning environment.
Check out preliminary information about our instructors, quarter/semester classes and our class schedule. We will update these pages every week or so with more detailed and final information as we have it.
We’ll be hosting a series of professional development seminars to help you grow in your career and make the most of your internship. Our topics include:
- Working Remotely and Zoom Etiquette: Learn how to be best prepared to handle a remote workplace and best represent yourself in virtual meetings.
- Navigating Diversity in a Virtual Environment: Diversity doesn’t stop just because you’re online. Discover how to navigate the complexities and live your truth in a virtual environment.
- Social Branding Yourself: from LinkedIn to Virtual Networking: How can you best represent yourself online? Find out in this seminar.
- What We Know & Where We’ll Grow: Identify your skills and competencies and learn how to showcase those skill sets to shine in your career.
- Ending Your Internship on a High Note: Your internship is almost over. Now what? We’ll share how to close out your internship and use this experience to further your future career.
Network with Mentors and Peers!
Have the opportunity to network with and learn from UC alumni in DC!
Navigating the professional environment can be daunting, and we can help. Join us for alumni panels and participate in our rotational mentorship program where you’ll be able to meet alumni who are ready to share their career journey and advice. Mentors can help you set and achieve goals, make connections with professionals, prepare you for interviews, and more.
Community won't just stop in the classroom or with your mentorship. UCDC is committed to building spaces to connect students with one another in ways to help process the experience together. Fall students are encouraged to join our Facebook Group for announcements and updates. At orientation, you will also be invited to join our Slack Workspace, where we will have dedicated channels to playlists, movie watching, exercise, and more.
Hear from DC Professionals!
Lunch with and learn from activists, experts, and industry professionals this fall. UCDC will be bringing to your devices a speaker series devoted to some of the most important issues of the day:
- Becoming an Active Citizen: From Protests to Advocacy
- The Impact and Science of Covid-19
- Social Justice & the Black Lives Matter Movement
- Theatre & Arts: Cultural Impact and DC Advocacy
- Election Polling: How the Calls are Made
- Immigration Reform and the Status of DACA
- Recapping the 2020 Election